Date: April 30, 2014
When attempting to install the [Enterprise] Random Password Manager Website to a remote web server, and all other prerequisites regarding IIS are met and verified, you still receive the following error:
Failed ADsOpenObject to path IIS://SERVER__NAME/W3SVC (implicit user) - error: 1722 - The RPC server is unavailable. ** Internal warning (IisAdminHelper.cpp:650 (0x800706BA: The RPC server is unavailable.)
If the Windows firewall is enabled, it is likely blocking access to the IIS processes. This can be validated by turning off the firewall and the website pre-check and installation will succeed.
There are three possible courses of action to follow:
- During installation, turn off the firewall. After installation is complete, turn the firewall back on. The E/RPM console does not need to talk to the E/RPM website after an automated installation is performed.
- Perform a manual installation of the E/RPM website. The manual installation procedure is outlined in the installation guide.
- Open your firewall and permit communication from the E/RPM console host to the remote web server. Rules can be created through the GUI or via administrative command prompt. Following are the two commands to run from administrative command prompt:
- netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="IIS Remote Administration (DCOM-In)" protocol=TCP dir=in localport="RPC" action=allow program="%SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe"
- netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="IIS Remote Administration (DCOM-In)" protocol=TCP dir=in localport="RPC" action=allow program="%SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\iisrstas.exe"
- Enterprise Random Password Manager (ERPM)
- Random Password Manager (RPM)